Hello everyone! This is to prove to Stephanie that even if I do not have as much time as she appears to, the busy consultant that she is, I am still alive and occasionally even feeding myself post-law school. 😉
This weekend, my parents came by in part to celebrate my admission to the bar, and my mother and I baked some apple streusel cupcakes using the fuji apples from our garden. It’s my mother’s recipe so all credit goes to her.
2/3 cup apple pieces (best if tossed with 1 tbs sugar and 1 tbs lime juice)
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup sugar
4 tbs butter, softened
2 ozs cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbs amaretto liqueur (can be substituted with 1/2 tsp almond extract, but why would you do that?)
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 3 tbs flour
- 2 tbs butter, chilled
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In one bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter and cream cheese with sugar, using a whip.
- Add an egg and mix in.
- Add Amaretto, vanilla, milk and mix in. If you use almond extract, add a little more milk.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients to the wet mixture until well blended. Fold in the apple, setting aside some pieces for decoration.
- For the streusel topping, put the flour, butter, sugar and cinnamon together on a plate.
- With a pastry cutter or with a knife and fork, cut the butter in to make a crumbly mixture.
- Line the cupcake pan with cupcake liners and fill them with the batter.
- Sprinkle the tops of each cupcake evenly with streusel and top the streusel with some leftover apple slices.
- Bake for 26-28 minutes until golden brown.
Bonus picture of our apple trees!